Štruklji are a traditional Slovene dish, composed of dough and various types of filling. The dish comes in the form of rolls, which can be either cooked or baked, and can have a wide range of fillings. Štruklji has been traditionally reserved for special occasions, but is now one of the most characteristic everyday dishes in households all across Slovenia.
- ½ cup hot tap water,
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 1 egg, lightly beaten,
- 1 teaspoon salt, if desired,
- 2 cups all-purpose flour.
- 4 tablespoons butter,
- 1 cup bread crumbs,
- 4 eggs,
- 1 pound dry cottage cheese,
- ½ cup sour cream,
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley.
Salt to taste, if desired.
- 1 cup brad crumbs,
- 4 tablespoons butter.
- To make the dough, place the hot water in a small bowl and add the butter to the water to melt. With a fork, blend in the egg and salt.
- Place the flour in a separate mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and pour in the liquid mixture. Blend and knead until the resulting dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and allow to rest in a draft-free place for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by melting the butter in an 8-inch saucepan and browning the bread crumbs in it. Remove from the heat, add the eggs and stir until they have completely scrambled.
- Combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, parsley and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the egg mixture and mix well.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured board into a rectangle about 12 inches by 18 inches. Spread the filling over the dough and roll it, starting at its long side, into a tight roll, much like a jellyroll.
- Place the roll on a clean white cloth or a double thickness of cheesecloth large enough to cover it. Wrap the roll in the cloth and tie the ends with string, sausage fashion.
- Coil the roll into a circle and drop it into a large pot of boiling salted water. Simmer for 40 minutes, then carefully lift it from the pot. Unwrap the roll and keep it warm.
- For the topping, saute bread crumbs in butter until golden brown. Slice the struklji into pieces 2 inches thick and top with the buttered crumbs.