Student Services — a Mediator between Students and Labour Market

Student Services is an agency that collects information (via phone, e-mail, regular mail and fax) about persons/students looking for work, companies/employers, and job opportunities. In addition, the organization is responsible for issuing job referrals to its members, issuing and sending invoices to employers, dealing with payroll accounting (thousands of small payments per day), carrying out concession payments, collecting debts, and resolving disputes between applicants and companies.

Photo by Charles Koh on Unsplash

The Student Service has many offices throughout Slovenia. For students it is the only way to find a job in the country, while maintaining student status. The possibility of employment does not affect the citizenship. Both the Slovenes and foreigners can participate in the job fair.

The following description is based on the data taken from the e-študentski servis — the largest student service. The terms and conditions of registration and the rights of students are the same for all student services.

How to become a member of the student service?

Through the web site or in the offices located throughout Slovenia

To join this organization, you must:

  1. have an ID card,
  2. have a bank account number,
  3. have a tax ID,
  4. have a proof of your status (proof of enrolment for the current/academic year or a student card, or a card of a person that is acquiring secondary education (a secondary school, gymnasium, etc.) with a label certifying the enrolment for the current year).

If a member of the Student Service is an part-time student or a secondary school student, it is necessary to sign a statement on such method of training.

How to extend your membership in the Student Service?

Membership can be extended in the Student Service by registering your profile in the e-office (e-poslovalnici) and by clicking the “Extend status” tab upon logging in.

You must also submit a proof of the student status existence, which can be represented as follows

  1. certificate of enrolment for the next academic year
  2. a student card or a secondary school pupil ticket.

A student work permit (napotnica)

A student job referral (napotnica) is a permission to work through the Student Service, which must be always obtained before starting work. Otherwise, the labour activity is considered illegal. During the inspection, responsibility is taken both by an employee/a student and by an employer.

You can order a referral in the e-office (e-poslovalnici), by e-mail, or take personally in one of the city’s offices.

By ordering a referral, the following information must be reported: your name and surname, date of birth, employer’s name, the nature of employment, date of start and end of work.

How to find a job?

A list of vacancies with daily updates is available at the website.

Full information about 30 vacancies is available in the e-office (e-poslovalnici) on a daily basis. With regard to other proposals, you can call any office or come in person (online contacts).

By filling in the “My job” (Moje delo) form in the e-office, when entering the account, applicants see those vacancies that match their experience in the relevant section.

What is the role of the Student Service after a student found a job?

If a member of the Student Service is looking for a job, then he or she needs a tentative agreement with the employer about the terms and conditions of work and the amount of payment.

It is important to have a student work permit (a referral from the Student Service) before starting work, which requires its timely (in advance!) ordering.

Signing an employment contract is not necessary to work through the Student Service. With regard to the labour activity through the Student Service, the provisions of the Labour Relations Act are applied that relate to the working hours, breaks and rest, special protection of workers under 18 years old, and property liability.

The law prescribes that an employee (a student, a secondary school student, a grammar school student, etc.), who in the course of working or in connection with implementation of a certain task, intentionally or due to extreme negligence, causes material damage to an employer, is obliged to pay damages.

Who can work through the Student Service?

The following categories of applicants can carry out the temporary employment through the Student Service:

  1. persons with the pupil status in the Republic of Slovenia who have reached 15 years of age;
  2. persons with the student status in the Republic of Slovenia (including all foreigners);
  3. adult persons studying on the official programs of basic, industry specific, vocational, secondary, and higher education under 26 years of age.

After 26 years, you can continue to work either under an employment contract (as an employee) or according to the services contract. Due to the fact that this contract is of a civil law nature rather than a labour one, an employer may terminate it at any time.

Temporary employment through the Student Service is also available for:

  1. pupils and students, citizens of the Republic of Slovenia, studying abroad (as evidenced by an extract comprising data on enrolment in the country, where they study)
  2. persons who have completed a secondary school in the current academic year (on the basis of enrolment in an educational institution) and have received the status of a student at the beginning of the new academic year
  3. Foreign university students studying in Slovenia in the framework of international exchange programs

What is the essence of the annuity life insurance and the schoolchild/student disability insurance contributions?

In accordance with the principle of “every job is taken into account”, the experience of schoolchildren/students, paid with regard to the job referral from the Student Service, is recorded into the work experience of each student. The Fund for Annuity Life Insurance and Disability Insurance is responsible for such records. The gained working experience helps in further searching for a permanent job and affects the future pension.

Schoolchildren and students pay a contribution for annuity life insurance and disability insurance at the rate of 15.56%.

How to calculate a working experience?

The work experience of students and schoolchildren will be counted on the basis of gross salary amount received according to the student’s job referral.

The work experience covers the amount that a schoolchild/a student receives to his/her bank account after 1 February 2015 (with the adoption of the Public Funds Distribution Law).

Where the work experience is taken into account, and who maintains the database?

The Fund for Annuity Life Insurance and Disability Insurance keeps the database. The Student Service transfers simultaneously the contributions for students and employers (15.5% + 8.85% + 6.36% + 0.53%) and the student salaries (84.5%) to the Financial Department of the Republic of Slovenia.

Are the foreign students chargeable for the annuity life insurance and disability insurance contributions?

An annuity life insurance and disability insurance contribution in the amount of 15.5% is also charged in the case, when it comes to foreign citizens who are included into the system of mandatory annuity life insurance and disability insurance through a foreign insurance company. Before receiving a student work permit, an applicant must provide a proof from a foreign insurance company issued no more than 30 days prior to filing.

How to get salary (if an employer transferred less amount of money or did not transfer it at all under the student work permit)?

If a student believes that an employer does not fulfil the terms and conditions emanating from labour relations under the student’s job referral or violates student’s rights, then:

1. It is possible to contact the Student Service, through which this employer employed the student, and explain the circumstances of the dispute or violation. The Student Service usually contacts the employer and warns on the necessity to fulfil the commitments.

2. To demand in writing the elimination of violations or the fulfilment of obligations. It is best to send your demand by registered mail or by e-mail that can be used as an evidence in a possible subsequent lawsuit. If within eight working days after receiving the written request, an employer does not fulfil its obligations or fails to eliminate violations, then:

– a student has the right to require judicial protection within 30 days after the obligations performance date has expired;

– and/or to offer using services of a mediation inspectors on labour relations in the dispute.

A list of inspectorate offices for labour relations can be found at

The Law (on Distribution) expressly provides that monetary disputes have no statute of limitations, but it is necessary to consider the limitation period of 5 years in accordance with the provisions of the Law on Commercial Relationships concerning monetary disputes.


— Art. 200 of the Labour Act

— Art. 346 of the Civil Relations Act

Can an employer reduce the hourly rate for a student work?

The hourly rate for a student work is set in accordance with the Civil Code. This means that an employer cannot reduce the payment for the already performed work or change the content of the student’s rights retrospectively. Reducing the hourly rate may take place only after presenting the student with the change conditions or reduction of hourly rate.

How a student can be informed on the receipt of salary?

By means of SMS messages. This is the fastest way to get information about the received salary. An SMS will be sent simultaneously with transferring the salary.

What is an e-office (e-poslovalnica)?

Electronic office is an online student’s office. To use an e-office, it is required to have an e-mail address and password, which can be obtained when registering at the e-Študentski Servis.

How to access the e-office (e-poslovalnici):

  1. through the website;
  2. e-office will be available when entering your password, which can be obtained upon registration and changed in the future;
  3. it is also available for mobile phones and tablets;
  4. as an Android and iOS app, available in Google Play or Apple Store named as the Personal Service (Osebni servis).

Opportunities provided by the e-office (e-poslovalnice)

As a member of e-Študentskega Servisa, a student can perform the following actions via the e-office (e-poslovalnice):

  1. fill in the “My employment” application;
  2. daily view vacancies corresponding to one’s knowledge, experience and abilities;
  3. have an access to a detailed job description (without a call to the office);
  4. order a student work permit, which will be sent to the specified address;
  5. check one’s own salaries and student work permits;
  6. view and print “My experience” page;
  7. view reports on the annual earnings;
  8. receive information on income tax;
  9. edit personal data;
  10. receive advice;
  11. have an access to useful information;
  12. use a variety of additional benefits (the list can be changed).

More than 20,000 schoolchildren and students use the e-office monthly.

The advantages of the e-office (e-poslovalnice):

  1. easy to use;
  2. safety;
  3. 24/7 access;
  4. quick response — you will receive your work permit ordered via e-office back to your home, to the company or to the specified address as quickly as in the case of a telephone order;
  5. access to useful information (legal and career counselling) and benefits.

Income Tax

Foreign students in the absence of agreements on avoidance of double taxation or any other tax treaties regarding income tax are obliged to pay the tax at the rate of 22.5%.

Non-residents are personally responsible for the recalculation of pensions in their own countries.

Social security contributions shall be paid by all employees who are in labour relations in the territory of Slovenia, regardless of their resident status.


What is the additional health insurance, and how to get it?

Minors and students under 26 years old receive health insurance as the family members as long as they are trained, and they do not have to pay contributions for compulsory health insurance.

In accordance with the law on health insurance, children are fully insured as family members until the end of their student or schoolchild status, or when they register at an employment agency or get employed. Extramural students can also be registered as family members if they are not in ordinary labour relations or are not registered as job seekers through the employment agency.

Obtaining health insurance by the students above 26 years or in case of a student status loss

Mandatory health insurance is a basic insurance, which should be available to all persons who have permanent residence in Slovenia. Compulsory insurance covers a portion of health care costs; each person pays the remaining costs independently. When signing the contract on additional health insurance in any insurance company, it is possible to cover all the costs. If you have both types of insurance, then when seeing a doctor, most services are not paid at all.

The Health Insurance Act, Art. 12 prescribes that a policyholder is fully insured as a family member until the end of study, but no longer than until reaching the full age of 26 years.

In the event of status loss or reaching the age of 26 years, students have to pay for the mandatory medical insurance. This can be done in the office of a health insurance agency. Compulsory insurance costs €22.95 per month.

Since compulsory health insurance does not cover all costs, additional insurance can be arranged by our partner enterprise e-Zavarovanja d.o.o. There you can also get complete information on the previously mentioned issue.


Gsm: 040/556-489

Tel.: 01/200 88 30


Spletna stran:

Are there any other types of insurance?

There are also “non-standard” forms of health insurance, which provide a higher standard of services — for example, self-financing services, extra care, some medicines, better medical devices, materials, etc. Compulsory insurance no longer covers all the health care and medication costs (which means that there are some medical services and medications, which in any case must be fully paid, as well as those that are covered in part).

Compulsory insurance can cover a certain percentage of the services cost, the difference of the total cost of medical services; each person must pay the balance independently. The costs of additional payments can be very high, but they can be avoided when signing the contract for additional health insurance, which can cover the difference in health care costs from the side of an insurance company. Further information can be found on the website e-Zavarovanja.

The order for obtaining salary

Students and pupils of secondary schools, gymnasiums, etc. are paid immediately after completion of their work (this applies to employers who do not have indebtedness on student work payments). The salary rate shall be adopted the same or the next day after adoption of the completed student’s job referral from an enterprise/organization. In the Student Service, students receive more than 90% of salary immediately after completing their work.

What sum will students/schoolchildren eventually receive into their account?

If an enterprise pays a student 4.5 euros per hour (gross), the a student will receive 3.8 euros per hour (net), the difference (0.7 euros) — 15.56% — is transferred to the annuity life insurance and disability insurance funds, which will be also recorded into the work experience of a schoolchild/student. To determine the exact amount, you can use a fee calculator.

Safety measures

All workers, regardless of the legal grounds for their employment, in accordance with the Labour Health Protection Act should complete the safety and health precautions training. To help employers, the Student Service organizes independently the courses and tests on health protection during the working process.

Disputes and their solution

In case of any disagreement, you may request the support of the Student Service. The service can act as a mediator between students and enterprises. In our experience, most of the disputes mediated by the Student Service are solved quickly enough. In the event of dispute, you can ask questions in the Tips (Svetovalnica) section by filling in a sample in the e-office (e-poslovalnici).

List of Student Services:

e-študentski servis, Slovenska cesta 40, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 241 20 00 in 041 314 151; pon., tor., sre., čet.: 8.00 – 17.00; pet.: 8.00 – 16.00;;

Študentski servis Maribor, Slovenska cesta 27, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 421 45 50 in 031 329 854; pon. – pet.: 8.00 – 17.00;

Agencija M Servis, Igriška ulica 14, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 241 45 20 in 031 324 411; pon. — pet.: 9.00 – 17.00;

Študentski servis Študent, Slovenska cesta 6, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 200 40 00 in 080 12 14; pon.- pet.: 7.30 – 17.00;;

Študentski servis Pikacom, Dunajska cesta 106, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 566 31 11 in 041 616 998; pon.- pet.: 8.00 – 16.00;;

Študentski servis Adecco, Slovenska cesta 41, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 560 92 85 in 041 621 427; pon. – čet.: 9.00 -17.00; petek: 9.00 – 16.00;;

Študentski servis Kadis d.o.o., Koprska cesta 72, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 200 81 80 in 041 604 449;;

Študentski servis Atama, Slovenska cesta 55 c, 1000 Ljubljana: 01 230 08 63 in 031 333 029;

Get a Free Consultation

Get a Free Consultation

Privacy Policy

Apply for Training

in Slovakia!

Privacy Policy


Get a Free Consultation

Privacy Policy


Apply for a residence
permit in the European Union!

Privacy Policy

Get link to e-mail



and get a free consultation from a specialist

Privacy Policy

Checking this box is required to send your message!

Checking this box is required to send your message!


Get a Free Consultation

Privacy Policy